Hi Jarred,

We are still formulating our procedures for both outgoing and incoming long-term loans. The incoming long-term loans are much more fleshed out right now than the outgoing, because I started working with that group of objects a couple of years ago. We have just started using the Loans Module for the outgoing loans in the last year. But the principles are basically the same.

Regarding the Loan Number: A loan in or out keeps the same loan number while it is on loan to the same borrower, for the same purpose. For example, a long-term loan to the State Capitol Building would receive a loan number the year it first goes out. Ditto, a long-term loan to us from the Boston Museum of Fine Arts. Each time we renew, the loan renewal date and the loan end date will be changed to reflect the end of the new loan period. We also have a Text Entry, “Loan Renewal,”  where information about the loan renewals can be added. Sometimes the remarks field is used for additional comments.

If the loan is terminated and the object comes back to the DIA the Overall Loan Status is changed to “Closed.” If it was borrowed again by the State Capitol two years later, it would receive a new loan number.

We have a lot of incoming loans, some have been on loan to us for as long as 40 years, and they get renewed at various times depending on the lender’s requirements, anywhere from 1 – 3 years. So keeping up with the renewal dates has always been difficult and the loan module and the loan end date/loan renewal date have been a big help in managing this.

Our database administrator has set up alerts for us – one for Outgoing loans and one for Incoming loans - that notifies us of “loan end dates” coming up within 8 weeks. I use the “Loan Renewal Date” for the incoming loans to run a report periodically for the curators to review and let me know if they want to renew or return a loan, or talk to the lender about donating the objects.

I am still experimenting with Loan Status (object) and Overall Loan Status to see what works best to help with this process.

I’d be happy to talk with you if you want to give me a call sometime since I am looking for ideas too!

Best, Terry

Terry L. Segal

Associate Registrar

Detroit Institute of Arts