I've kept the object record, but have assigned a new number (keeping the old number as an alternate). This was partly due to the incoming object systems I've used in the past, where there were running logs. Much easier than entering completely new records, and stops the risk of losing some history of the object (especially if the item eventually comes in as a new acquisition).

Angie

Angela Steinmetz
JWSC LLC - Art Catalogues, Collection Services, and Research
(708) 445-9101