Hi Steve --

Good questions. We are currently testing a new SQL server and trying to resolve some performance bottlenecks on the server side. Right now I'm looking at the size of the L2 cache as potential culprit but with you and not entirely sure how I would go about 'proving' this.  Suggestions or ideas for running down questions like this would indeed be appreciated.

Right now I'm comparing one of our more expensive views which we use for data to the web.

TMS1 (current production server)
Dedicate physical hardware
Proc: Xeon E5450
Cores: 4
L2: 12MB
Memory: 32GB
Time to execute TMSDS_ObjectView: 1:30

YAGTS02-DEV (current dev server)
Virtual machine
Proc — Xeon X7460
Cores: 6
L2 cache: 16MB
Memory: 8GB
Time to execute TMSDS_ObjectView: 4:30

VM-TMSTST/TMSPRD (replacement dev/prd servers being tested)
Virtual machine
Proc: E5-4640
Cores: 8
L2 cache: 2MB
Memory: 16GB
Time to execute TMSDS_ObjectView: 60:00+