From: Museum on Main Street [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Harsh, Carol [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, October 09, 2015 6:02 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: MoMS Focus Group at the Humanities Conference in St. Louis

Hi all,

We are looking forward to seeing many of you at the National Humanities Conference in St. Louis in November.

Towards that end, we would like to invite you to join us for several different MoMS activities.

First, we will be hosting a MoMS focus group on Thursday, November 5, 2015, from 2:00 to 5:00 at the hotel (room TBD).  We want to get your feedback about concepts for the next MoMS exhibition topic (slated to open in 2018!); discuss new initiatives your councils are developing; and share ideas about best practices and lessons learned with regard to MoMS.  As you know Museum on Main Street represents a 21 year partnership between the Smithsonian and state humanities councils. It’s important for us to dream together about where we want this partnership to go and how we can keep it relevant and meaningful in the work of the humanities.  We need to have a head count in order to make sure the room is big enough, so please let us know if you are able to join us by Wednesday,  October 23, 2015.

Secondly, we will be hosting “MoMS Host Huddles” so that councils hosting exhibits can share ideas with other councils that have hosted or are planning to host the same exhibition.  If you want to join in on this new opportunity, please look at the schedule below and let us know if you plan to participate:

Hometown Teams Huddle -- Lunch 11:30 to 1:00 on Saturday --(possibly at a sports bar?)
Water/Ways Huddle - Lunch 12:30-2:00 on Friday – (you guessed it…at a seafood restaurant!)

The Way We Worked Huddle  - Dinner Thursday after the opening reception - 8:00 pm  -- (what makes sense? BBQ? American Diner?)

Please let us know if you plan to join us by Monday, November 2, 2015 so that we can make reservations. These “huddles” will give you a chance to share your plans and bounce ideas off your colleagues.  We are eager to hear your ideas and provide any information that will help you to make MoMS a huge success in your states.

Also, please plan to attend the session about MoMS, “What’s new on Main Street” that is hosted by the Tracy (KS) and Jennifer (MN) and includes Robbie. It is scheduled for Saturday at 1:00.

This is the first National Humanities Conference in a number of years in which we will NOT be hosting MoMS National Planning Meetings.  For those of you on the 2017 tour of Water/Ways or the 2018 tour of Hometown Teams, we are planning to host your national planning meeting in February/March, 2016, in Annapolis, MD.  More details will follow shortly.  The national meeting for The Way We Worked will be at the end of November in Charlotte, NC.

So, on behalf of the MoMS team, we are looking forward to seeing you in St. Louis!

With warm regards,

Carol

Carol G. Harsh

Director, Museum on Main Street and Special Projects

Smithsonian Institution, SITES

P.O. Box 37012 MRC 941

Washington, D.C. 20013-7012

Deliveries