Dear Erin,

We use TMS in our museum, wich is a typical example of a museum with mixed collections. Our museum is divided into three area’s of interest: Nature (Biology and Geology), Culture (History and Anthropology) and Technic (Physics). All departments have a vast collection wich is described in TMS. For the historical, ethnological and physics colelction we use the standard screen, for the natural history objects we have made customized screens (with fields for for example the scientific name coming from the OBJContext fields). I have pasted here two screenshots of the different screens.

1.       Cultural objects

2.       Natural-history objects:

Very much used is the theaurus. For the cultural collections we depend on several thesauri that we build in cooperation with other ethnographic musea in Holland. For the natural-history collection we build thesauri ourselves, based on for example Itis Catalogue of Life, Species 2000, Mindat.org, and others. The thesaurus is a strong tool which enables us to find (and standardize ) the objects in our collection.

To see the diversity of our collection you should have a look at http://cc.museon.nl/ . Unfortunately we don’t have an english version yet. But  you can look at for example “Inuit”, you will find our beautiful Inuit collection. At the right hand side there are filters, if you choose to see the natural history objects (in this case only 2), just tick of the other two.

Another example is a search for “Canada”, you will find a very diverse collection. Just have a look and try several things.

Hope to have convinced you of the use of TMS for different collections.

Kind regards,

Corine

cid:image005.jpg@01D05D96.163F7740

drs. Corine Bliek  |  Collectie en Productie

Contact  070-3381 426  |  [log in to unmask]

Museon  Stadhouderslaan 37  |  2517 HV  Den Haag  |  museon.nl

Museon_Atlantikwall_Slide_Nieuwsbrief

@SI-LISTSERV.SI.EDU] Namens Erin McDonald