Hi Sylvia,

We opted to use the Bibliography module for a few reasons.  Being a single artist museum means that there are a ton of publications with multiple artworks from our collection.  By using the Bibliography module, we can just create one record for the publication and link it to all of the relevant objects.  We also only track bibliography for books we actually have in our library.  That’s probably somewhat atypical, but in our case, there is no curatorial person doing this research, and since our museum (and our collection) isn’t that old, there aren’t massive amounts of historic publications (and the ones we have are often part of the permanent collection and have object records).  We generally have copies of anything published since the museum’s opening, so by restricting the bib records to our own library, we’re still covering a ton of bibliographic records.  So for us, the Bibliography module was the way to go.

We do the same for Exhibition History and Related Objects.  We don’t use the free text fields in the object record; we create records in the Exhibition Module and link them.  Again, makes perfect sense for us to do this, since the exhibition history is limited to the past 60 years at most, and we so frequently have multiple objects in each exhibition.  We link related objects when they are part of our collection, but at this point, we aren’t tracking related objects that we don’t own.  But then again, being a single artist museum, we have the Catalogue Raisonné for that.

Hope that’s helpful.

Best regards

Amber

the warhol:
Amber E. Morgan
Director of Collections and Registration
117 Sandusky Street

Pittsburgh, PA 15212
T 412.237.8306
F 412.237.8340

E [log in to unmask]
www.warhol.org

The Andy Warhol Museum
One of the four Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh

Email newsletter http://members.carnegiemuseums.org/email
Membership http://members.carnegiemuseums.org/SupportCMP

warhol: facebook | warhol: twitter