March 24, 2016

Hello to all!

This is Kathy Francis, Program Chair for the Textile Specialty Group—

I wanted to be in touch about the TSG program for the Joint Meeting of AIC and CAC-ACCR Montreal. By now you will have seen the registration brochure and all the sessions and activities planned. If you haven’t had a chance to look through all the offerings, visit www.conservation-us.org/registration-brochureIt promises to be a really great meeting!

Here is info about the Textile Specialty sessions:

TSG will have sessions on three days, SundayMonday, and Tuesday, May 15, 16, 17, 2016. To see a listing of all the TSG talks in AIC’s online meeting schedule, visit Sched here: http://aics44thannualmeeting2016.sched.org/overview/type/Specialty+Session/TextilesWe have a great mix of papers including general textile conservation subjects as well as ones that focus on the meeting theme of preparing for disasters. We have great treatment talks as well as those that address the broad theme. We're lucky that the treatment talks also address the theme of "confronting the unexpected".  And we have several textile-cleaning papers that relate to emergency recovery as well as a discussion session about wet cleaning.

Sunday, May 15 - TSG papers 2:00-5:30 PM.

We have 6 papers on Sunday.

Some are conservation treatment papers and others focus on the theme of confronting the unexpected. Three are on ethnographic textiles, one on digital mapping, one on creating a digitally printed reproduction sleeve for an 18th century painted dress, and one on unintended consequences of using magnets and Velcro for display.

Disassociation risks: the conservation of two aboriginal figurines & their textiles.  Nicole Charley and Jean Dendy

Exploring origins and power: The technical analysis of two Yoruba masquerade costumes.  Rebecca Summerour and Dana Moffett

Inherent Vice in the Woven Structure of Northwest Coast Spruce Root Hats.  Sara Serban

Break in the Exhibit Hall

The Creation of a Digitally Printed Reproduction Sleeve for an Eighteenth-Century Painted Silk Dress. Miriam Murphy, Alexandra Barlow, and Eric Breitung

Digital Mapping in Textile Conservation – New Documentation Methods with MetigoMap 4.0. Christine Supianek-Chassay

The Dark Side of the Force: Magnets, Velcro and Unintended Consequences. John Childs and Maureen Merrigan

Monday, May 16 – TSG Business Meeting is at 7:30-8:30 AM, followed by TSG papers from 8:30 until 11:30 AM

We have 5 papers on Monday. Two deal with the issues of emergency preparedness/response/recovery, one deals with the crisis of a live insect infestation, and two deal with wild and unusual materials and inherent vice degradation.

A Material Disaster: Preservation of the Muppets.  Sunae Park Evans

A Biological Disaster to Costume.  Mary W. Ballard, Laura Mina, Cathleen M. Zaret and Carol Grissom

A Textile Conservator's Contribution to Disaster Preparedness at the MFA, Boston. Claudia P Iannuccilli

Break in the Exhibit Hall

Vial Things: Preserving the Unexpected in the Occult Jewelry of Simon Costin. Sarah Scaturro

Assessing Collection Emergency Training and Response: The Risks of Adrenaline. Lois Olcott Price and Dr. Joelle D. J. Wickens

Monday evening is the TSG reception at the McCord Museum.  Ticketed event.

This year the TSG reception will be held at the McCord Museum. Come meet with colleagues, catch up with old friends, and make some new ones. It’s a special year since we are meeting jointly with our Canadian colleagues.

The reception will be held on the evening of May 16th, the mid-point of TSG papers. The TSG Program Chair has promised the return of the TSG Reception Door prizes! Do not miss this!  We’ll also have a chance to see the McCord’s exhibition “Wearing Our Identity - The First Peoples Collection”, a textiles and clothing and exhibit that focuses on how clothing is linked with identity. If you’ve already registered for the meeting, you can register for the reception by logging in to the AIC site and then going to the online store:https://netforum.avectra.com/eweb/shopping/shopping.aspx?site=aichaw&webcode=shopping&cart=0&shopsearchCat=Session

Tuesday, May 17 - TSG papers from 10:00-noon.

We have four sessions (including TSG discussion session) on Tuesday. This group of papers focuses on treatments to remove various types of soils and stains from textiles. The last session of Tuesday morning will be a discussion of issues in cleaning textiles, especially those that have been damaged in disasters.

Foxy Underpants; or, the use of chelators, enzymes, and surfactants to remove foxing stains from linen underpants. Laura Mina

Gelling in Theory and Practice: An Examination of Agarose Gels in Textile Conservation. Emma Schmitt and Sarah Foskett

Tips and tricks to remove the mud from textile collections after a flood.  Gail Niinimaa

Emergencies, liquid stains, dirt, & textile cleaning techniques: A TSG discussion

I’m really excited about the TSG program! It’s less than 2 months away!

Please go to the AIC website for other program info and to register for the meeting! You can find more information on registration here: www.conservation-us.org/register

--
Kathy Francis
Francis Textile Conservation LLC