From: Textile Conservators [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Smart, Rose
Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2016 8:03 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: FW: FW: Printing a pattern of silk fabric

From: Susan Furneaux [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, April 11, 2016 2:25 PM
To: Smart, Rose
Subject: Re: FW: Printing a pattern of silk fabric

You can print photos on fabric fairly easily with an inkjet printer. How it would translate would depend on the print etc. Depending on the amount and type of gold thread in the original, it could be stitched through the ground fabric. How big you could print would depend on the size of the printer you have (the biggest around here that I have found is 11" x 17"). The fabric would have to be pieced but if there is a busy print that should be too hard to do without being too noticible. There is a digital fabric printer at OCAD in Toronto that will do large format printing on a silk ground. They didn't do outside commission work last year when I asked but that may have changed. It would be a lot pricier than the inkjet for sure, but the colour would be more stable over a number of years.
Hope this helps.