Rodger,

You can use Alternate Names for this. In the ConXref screen, you can select the exact name that you want to use for that object - the primary name is selected by default.

Inline image 3

You can also reconfigure your query groups to be able to search on the alternate names (to find those with "Gibson Mandolin-Guitar Company") by adding fields from the Constituents Alternate Names node to your query groups.

Inline image 2

In the past, I've done the same thing with journals in Bibliography, since some journals changed their names over time.

I hope this helps. It was great seeing you at CI! ~Chad