We've re-purposed several fields (haven't we all?!), and I've always been
able to change the front-facing labels through the DB Config.

We don't use Salutation, and I need to re-purpose it in the Constituent
Alternate Names. But it doesn't work when I
Manage > Tables/Columns > Constituent Alternate Names > Local Column Name
I've changed it to my desired label (in all languages, even), but it still
shows up as Salutation. I suspect it may have something to do with the fact
that this field autopopulates the Primary Name. Any thoughts on how I can
override this?

Thanks,
David