From: The Museum System (TMS) Users [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Shepherd, Rupert
Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2016 4:26 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Gallery Wall Labels from TMS

At the National Gallery, we run a hybrid system, based on macros within MS Word templates. Tombstone data is drawn from TMS; descriptive text (the ‘caption’ / ‘label text’ part of the label) is written into Word – which means we don’t currently really capture the changing label texts in TMS, something we plan to resolve in the next few months. The sequence is:

1.       Open Word template

2.       Update template form with TMS content

3.       Fill in template form with any other information

4.       Generate Word document from form

5.       Tidy up layout, add italicisation, shorten text, etc. as necessary in Word

6.       Save Word document as PDF

7.       Pass PDF to art handling team to create and install hard-copy labels

8.       Upload PDF to TMS as Media record

We have a number of templates for different label formats; and we also upload bespoke PDFs created by our design department for one-off labels to TMS, where they exist.

Best wishes

Rupert