Dear Abby

For what it's worth, at the National Gallery in London we have a small collection, almost entirely of paintings, so objects are given a running number (starting with NG1 for the main collection, H1 for the history collection, etc. for objects of other statuses). Historically, parts were numbered in various ways: some had a part number after a point, others were indicated by a letter, and in several cases, where we are dealing with a cycle of pictures or parts of a work that were acquired at different times and so had different accession numbers, were simply given different numbers. This meant that some groups could just use an NG number without suffixes for the group - but others could not.

So my predecessors took a decision to rationalise. Parts retain their original numbers, although part numbers have been harmonised  so that they are indicated by a sub-number after a point, not a letter, etc.; objects with entirely separate numbers retain them. Groups are all given the prefix GROUP followed by  a running number.

This is best illustrated with some examples:

·         Hogarth's Marriage A-la-Mode, GROUP1, containing NG113 to NG118: http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/paintings/william-hogarth-marriage-a-la-mode

·         Memling's Donne Triptych, GROUP18, containing NG6275.1, NG6275.2, NG6275.3: http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/paintings/hans-memling-the-donne-triptych

·         Pesellino and Filippo Lippis's altarpiece for S. Trinità, Pistoia, GROUP127, containing L15, NG3162, NG3230, NG4428, and NG4868.1 to .4: http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/paintings/francesco-pesellino-and-fra-filippo-lippi-and-workshop-the-pistoia-santa-trinita-altarpiece

GROUP records are virtual; anything else is not.

Hope this makes some kind of sense!

Best wishes

Rupert