From: The Museum System (TMS) Users [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Fostel, Clarissa
Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2017 8:30 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Documentation of when artists are convicted of crimes

Good morning,

Is anyone willing to share how their museum documents when artists are convicted of crimes? NMAfA has four works in its collection by Zwelethu Mthethwa, recently convicted of beating a woman to death in South Africa. The works have been exhibited before, and while not currently slated for exhibition, are publicly accessible on the museum’s website. I personally feel that we ought to acknowledge this conviction somewhere in the artist’s record in a non-sensational fashion. The Chief Curator has asked me to research how other museums handle such a matter, particularly when published or publicly accessible.

I appreciate all responses, on or offline as you wish. Feel free to call if you prefer.

Many thanks,
Clarissa

Clarissa Fostel

Head Registrar