Hi everyone. While reading an overview article on using bacteria to break up textile wastewater (AATCC Review), I came across a reference to a ‘Module’ from Marks and Spencer in the footnotes. There are nine of these (Modules 1-9). They were designed to alert dye and apparel manufacturers as to what dye and pigment products M&S would not accept and why.

There’s a very nice chart (overview) on textile toxicity on the last page of http://corporate.marksandspencer.com/documents/policy-documents/ecp-modules/module-8.pdf

Here’s one I thought very helpful http://corporate.marksandspencer.com/documents/policy-documents/ecp-modules/module-9.pdf   It’s on banned arylamines ( a component in dye synthesis sometimes) associated with azo dyes.

Also http://corporate.marksandspencer.com/documents/policy-documents/ecp-modules/module-6.pdf  on alkyl phenol ethoxylates...a class of non-ionic surfactants.

And Chromium VI http://corporate.marksandspencer.com/documents/policy-documents/ecp-modules/module-7.pdf  which can be associated with leather tanning and with metal complex dyes.

While it’s not so likely you’d have these dyes in your laboratory, you might come across them in your work. There are only a few percentage of azo dyes with issues, but it’s nice to know to take precautions. The same would be true with the Chromium VI; the management guide explains what not to do.

Mary

Mary W.  Ballard

Senior Textiles Conservator

Smithsonian Museum Conservation Institute

4210 Silver Hill Road

Suitland, Maryland 20746

Tel 301-238-1210 Fax 301-238-3709