Hi, Robbie,

I think some of the best examples are actually the wonderful communities  and Red Wing, which you know from our Water/Ways tour.

Ely also might be a good story, though a complex one because while they've been experiencing a resurgence because of tourism, that's competing with/potentially threatened by mining.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 14, 2017, at 5:35 PM, Buschkamp, Terry [IEDA] <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi Robbie – I’ve sent you a number of suggestions off-list. Please let me know if you don’t receive the message, or would like more information. Thanks. Terry Poe Buschkamp / Iowa

From: Museum on Main Street [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Davis, Robbie
Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2017 1:41 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Revitalization Successes in Your State

Good afternoon MoMSers,

We hope that you’re all having a great summer. We’re speeding along with the development of our next exhibition, Crossroads: Change in Rural America. Crossroads opens in September 2018 in Florida, Illinois and South Carolina.

We need your help as we select stories and images to include in the exhibition. In one section, we focus on revitalization efforts in small towns and rural communities. Could you recommend some towns in your state that have developed highly successful revitalization efforts? Tell us the name of the town and why you think its redevelopment work is significant. We won’t be able to use them all, but your thoughts will give us a great research boost.

The towns you select may have used culture and the arts as a revitalization springboard, focused on tourism, recruited new industries, or reinvigorated a tired Main Street by investing in historic buildings and other infrastructure. We know that revitalization takes many forms and that it happens everywhere. That’s why we would love to hear from you.

Please send me your suggestions off-list at [log in to unmask]. And, while you have MoMS on your mind, consider bringing Crossroads to your state. Slots are going fast, so be sure to get in touch with Carol. We are excited about Crossroads’ potential to generate a high level of community action and discourse.

Best wishes,

Robbie

Robbie Davis

Project Director, Museum on Main Street

Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service

PO Box 37012 MRC 941

Washington, DC 20013-7012

202-633-5335 office

202-704-4478 mobile