Good morning,

Our curatorial department has some questions about bilingual labels for non-western objects.

We are looking to investigate the French transliteration of names. Can anyone share if they use an international standard system or a standard agreed upon internally?

Our major concern at the moment is whether the English and French transliteration of the names should be the same in both French and English or, do they follow different standards? For example we have the names Sa'di سعدی , and,  Jamiجامی in our English and French labels. We know that French and English speakers don’t always transliterate Arabic and Farsi in the same manner. We received comments that for our French labels we should write these names as Saadi and Djami which will be different than our English label.

Does anyone have experience with bilingual labels?

Second question - We are wondering if anyone has set up their thesaurus and included non-western terms and in doing so how you have set up the hierarchical structure?

Or do we need to post a new question or can we just respond to this thread and ask if they can share their information?http://si-listserv.si.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1611&L=TMSUSERS&P=R87701&1=TMSUSERS&9=A&I=-3&J=on&d=No+Match%3BMatch%3BMatches&z=4

Thank you and kind regards,

Ghazaleh

Ghazaleh Rabiei
Collections Manager

AGA KHAN MUSEUM

Connecting Cultures Through Art

agakhanmuseum.org

77 Wynford Drive

Toronto, Ontario, Canada M3C 1K1

ON NOW!

HERE: Locating Contemporary Canadian Artists

One of the “hottest tickets in town” — The Globe and Mail

agakhanmuseum.org/here

#HereCanada