Dear all,

As for Orsay, we actually have three museums in our group (Orsay, Orangerie and Hébert), we use the levels exactly the same way as the Morgan Library.

Specifics for our Photography Collection: Though we have a huge collection of photographies stored, always in the same boxes, there are organized physically so logically that we decided to stop there and we do not use any containers. Nor do we use permanent location, but we have no religion on that last one.

Elsa Badie Modiri

De : The Museum System (TMS) Users [mailto:[log in to unmask]] De la part de Chad Petrovay
Envoyé : mercredi 28 mars 2018 19:27
À : [log in to unmask]
Objet : Re: Using Unit Number/Position

I think its best to think of these as Level 1, Level 2, Level 3, etc, instead of as Site, Subsite, Unit Type, etc. Here's how locations are managed in TMS at the Morgan Library & Museum.

Address
We have separate addresses for each building on our campus.

Level 1 (Site)
This is the Floor designation within a building

Level 2 (Subsite/Room)
This is the assigned Room Number, which is located on placards or on architectural plans, followed by a brief description (ie: 03 Vault, 03 East Room)

Level 3 (Unit Type)
In our historic rooms, this is either a case or cabinet designator (ie: Cabinet 04); however, in one room it also includes the wall (ie: North Wall); and in rooms where here are multiple levels of cabinetry, this is the Tier number (ie: Tier 1).
In our storage vaults, this is either the cabinet designator, the rack number, or the bay within our mobile shelving.

Level 4 (Unit Number)
In our historic rooms, this is the shelf number when there is only one tier of cabinetry; and the cabinet designator when there are multiple levels of cabinetry.
In our storage vaults, this is the shelf or drawer in our cabinets and compact shelving units. When a flatfile unit has been placed upon a shelf, then "Flatfile" appears here.

Level 5 (Unit Position)
In our historic rooms, this is the shelf number when there are multiple levels of cabinetry.
In our storage vaults, this is the drawer for flatfiles.

As you can see, a shelf or drawer isn't always in Level 4, since it depends upon the configuration of its surroundings. This is why I prefer to think of these as levels.

~Chad