TMS Users,

I can reply to my own post – Danielle Uchitelle at Gallery Systems helped me resolve this problem. With the TMS 2012 change of some varchar fields to nvarchar, Crystal Reports did not interpret these correctly, and so was truncating lots of fields to 255 characters. To get around this, I created a SQL view that cast these fields as text, when they should have been ntext. Big difference.

Having updated whole report and parts of reports using this view, non-Western characters began to to not display properly. Hope this helps any of you with some of the same symptoms.

Thanks, Danielle!

From: The Museum System (TMS) Users <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Smith, Jeffrey
Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2018 5:44 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Crystal Reports and non-Western characters.

Dear TMS Users,

Does anyone have a solution or a workable explanation as to why reports that use Arial Unicode MS to display non-Western characters no longer display this text properly, either within Crystal or TMS?  I get ???? where I want雲谷.

We are on Crystal XI – is anyone using more recent versions of Crystal and not having issues?

Jeffrey Smith

Assistant Registrar for Collections Information

Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery

202-633-0348

EmailGraphic

Experience where Asia meets America at the

Smithsonian’s museums of Asian art

Connect with F|S on social media

@freersackler #freersackler