Hi all,

At the National Portrait Gallery, we use Attributes as well, but we’ve always called the term type “Cultural Affiliation”, since we don’t track nationality and we hesitate to commit ethnicity…though we do, since we include all of the terms that Christine showed in her screenshots. Like the Neslon-Atkins, we do not flag constituents as American except in very unusual cases. But we do enter gender for both male and female constituents. (Side note: I recently entered “Female” for photographer Catherine Opie, but I did a lot of reading before committing! If I didn’t feel certain about a constituent’s gender identity, I would not make the decision myself.)

A screenshot of our relevant cultural affiliation terms is below. Many constituents have multiple cultural affiliations, and querying has become burdensome, since we often need to find constituents that are Asian and/or Asian American. And then there’s African vs. African American—this is a problem for me since the inquiries I get here are most often looking for diversity in general. I maintain constituent packages of the groups I need to query for and update the packages each time I’m asked for stats…which is increasingly frequent!

Thanks to Amanda for posting this question! I’m very interested to see what others are doing.

Best,

Sue

Sue Garton

Data Administrator and Acting Head of