I'm in the process of updating our object Date data standards and am
interested in the answer to Rupert's question as well!

Frances

On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 4:00 PM TMSUSERS automatic digest system <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> There is 1 message totaling 211 lines in this issue.
>
> Topics of the day:
>
>   1. Pre-Gregorian dates
>
> To unsubscribe, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the
> following commands in the body of the email:
>
>      signoff TMSUSERS
>
>      //  eoj
>

> You will receive a confirmation that your subscription has been removed.

> Date:    Thu, 25 Oct 2018 10:30:32 +0000
> From:    "Shepherd, Rupert" <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Pre-Gregorian dates
>
> Dear colleagues
>
> My apologies for this particularly pedantic enquiry.
>
> I'm starting to use the Events module to record historic events related to
> our paintings - battles, treaties, and so on. Some of these took place
> before the adoption of the Gregorian calendar. The Events module stores
> event dates using the ISO 8601 format. Looking at the Wikipedia entry<
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601> for the standard, it notes that
>
> "ISO calendar dates before [20 May 1875] are still compatible with the
> Gregorian calendar all the way back to the official introduction of the
> Gregorian calendar on 1582-10-15. Earlier dates, in the proleptic Gregorian
> calendar<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proleptic_Gregorian_calendar>, may
> be used by mutual agreement of the partners exchanging information. The
> standard states that every date must be consecutive, so usage of the Julian
> calendar<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_calendar> would be contrary
> to the standard (because at the switchover date, the dates would not be
> consecutive)."
>
> My question is: how are you entering Julian calendar dates into TMS ISO
> date fields? (This would apply to dates of creation, constituent dates,
> etc.,  as well as to event dates.)
>
> For example, I currently have the Battle of San Romano<
> https://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/paintings/paolo-uccello-the-battle-of-san-romano>
> entered as 1 June 1432, which I'm pretty sure is its Julian calendar date;
> but in the proleptic Gregorian calendar (which projects the Gregorian
> calendar back to dates beyond its adoption) this would be 10 June 1432.
>
> I'd be interested to know who's adhering to the letter of ISO 8601, and
> who's just recording Julian dates in an ISO 8601-like format. And, if
> you're using proleptic Gregorian dates - are you also recording the
> corresponding Julian dates anywhere, and if so, where?
>
> Best wishes
>
> Rupert
>
> Rupert Shepherd, PhD FSA
> Collection Information Manager
> Tel: +44 (0)20 7747 5921
>
> [The National Gallery, Trafalgar Square, London WC2N 5DN]<
> http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk>
> [Mantegna and Bellini]<
> https://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/whats-on/exhibitions/mantegna-and-bellini
> >

> To unsubscribe, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the
> following commands in the body of the email:
>
>      signoff TMSUSERS

> [...]

Frances Lloyd-Baynes  |  Head of Collections Information Management
Minneapolis Institute of Art
2400 Third Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55404
+1.612.870.3189  |  [log in to unmask]  |  artsmia.org
<http://www.artsmia.org/>