Hi, we’re using TMS 2016r2. We install the TMS client directly on our desktops and laptops (if they’re Windows) otherwise we use Remote Access.

If our desktops & laptops are connected to our main LAN via ethernet, they can access TMS just fine.

If they are on ethernet, but on a different LAN, we need to use a VPN that has been set up, and that works just fine.

But when our laptops are using wifi, even though they use the exact same VPN configuration that works on ethernet, TMS will not connect – we get the dreaded “Connection Failed” message. Clearly it’s reaching the server though – if I deliberately put in the wrong password I get the connection failed message immediately, but if everything is correct on the login window then in takes about 30 seconds to get the connection failed message. So the TMS client is definitely reaching the server for some initial connection, but something goes wrong that point.

I’ve confirmed that port 1433 is open for VPN (and of course it must be since VPN works ok on ethernet).

Any ideas about what else may be failing when using VPN over wifi when VPN over ethernet works fine? Recommendations for further troubleshooting?

-Steve

--
Steve Rothman, Systems Administrator
Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology