Hi Chad,

“DEXID” is a field that was put in place for NGA when we moved to TMS in 2008 (or at least the name of the field comes from NGA).  “DEX” is a reference to our Exhibitions Office which goes by the acronym “DEX”  here at NGA. [the “D” denotes the Director – the Executive Officer under which the Exhibitions Office falls]. I thought this field used to have a different internal column name (maybe something like ExhObjNumber?) and we just changed the field tag for it since that reference is so specific to us.

We use the DEX ID field as a common reference to objects in the exhibition across number of departments involved in exhibition (Curatorial, Exhibitions Office, Registrars, Exhibition design and installation, Public Information office, Publications office, etc).  Once number is assigned it cannot be re-assigned.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Concha

TMS Administrator

National Gallery of Art

Washington, DC 20565

Work: 202.842-6939

Email: [log in to unmask]

Mailing Address: 2000B South Club Drive  | Landover, Maryland 20785