Good afternoon everyone,

Here is how we structured our collections for the moment (still a little bit of tidying up):

Department

Classification

Autre collection

Musée d'orsay

architecture et arts décoratifs

architecture et arts décoratifs-autre

architecture et arts décoratifs-dessin

architecture et arts décoratifs-objet

arts graphiques

autres oeœuvres-archives

autres oeœuvres-objet et maquette

autres oeœuvres-oeuvre diverse

peintures et pastels-autre

peintures et pastels-élément de décor & décor

peintures et pastels-pastel

peintures et pastels-tableau

photographies-autres

photographies-négatif

photographies-positif

photographies-procédé direct

sculptures et médailles-autre

sculptures et médailles-médaille

sculptures et médailles-sculpture

Musée de l'Orangerie

Musée national Ernest Hébert

This is not satisfactory because:

-          it respects alphabetical order and doesn’t follow our traditional hierarchy of Classification

-          has one level only for the Classification

-          part of our staff would like to make the distinction between category in which the object falls (Photographies) and section who is in charge of the object (Archives) in the case for example of archives from a photograph’s studio at the time of the renovation of the building (see attached file). So two Classification could be necessary for some objects…

-          We still have to figure out how to categorize and document works that are:

o   in depot in our museums from other collections (not in jurisdiction, history and owner of the work and so on)

o   destroyed and no longer on our inventory books but still interesting to consider from an historian point of view

We would like to have it closer to this below with a classification and a sub-classification for each object (classification and sub- applicable to any department but not repeated here for the sake of your eyes):

Department

Classification

Sub-classification

Autre collection

Musée d'orsay

architecture et arts décoratifs

architecture et arts décoratifs

architecture et arts décoratifs-autre

architecture et arts décoratifs-dessin

architecture et arts décoratifs-objet

arts graphiques

arts graphiques

autres œuvres

autres oeuvres-archives

autres oeuvres-objet et maquette

autres oeuvres-oeuvre diverse

peintures et pastels

peintures et pastels-autre

peintures et pastels-élément de décor & décor

peintures et pastels-pastel

peintures et pastels-tableau

photographies

photographies-autres

photographies-négatif

photographies-positif

photographies-procédé direct

sculptures et médailles

sculptures et médailles-autre

sculptures et médailles-médaille

sculptures et médailles-sculpture

Musée de l'Orangerie

Musée national Ernest Hébert

Was it the sense of your question Caitlin?

Does it appeal to you all or does it sounds awkward?
Thanks for your sharing,

Elsa

Elsa Badie Modiri
Chargée de projet – Administrateur de la base de données M’Osaïque
Pôle des données patrimoniales digitales – Direction de la Conservation et des Collections
Musée d’Orsay
62, rue de Lille
75343 Paris Cedex 07
Tél. : + 33 (0)1 40 49 49 87 – Fax : + 33 (0)1 45 49 05 54
Email : [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Consultez le catalogue complet des 97 000 oeuvres du musée d'Orsay <https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.musee-orsay.fr%2Ffr%2Fcollections%2Fbienvenue.html%3FS%3D0&amp;data=02%7C01%7CTMSUSERS%40SI-LISTSERV.SI.EDU%7C4c03dc598cda49c5429308d6f9897a2d%7C989b5e2a14e44efe93b78cdd5fc5d11c%7C0%7C0%7C636970766202909037&amp;sdata=hdGJQ1JBp7dVc0ev71G6KcMTIYcsCQgYBF7gob2ry1A%3D&amp;reserved=0>