Can anyone help me?

A few weeks ago I came across a really interesting article on the traditional way to wet clean robes (kimonos?) by disassembling the entire garment into its original pieces, including the lining.

It was fascinating, but I didn’t jot down the citation…because I was looking for something else at the time.

Of course, now having been confronted by cross-bleeding on a kimono the article is especially relevant!

I’ve tried re-tracing my original search to no avail. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Mary Ballard

Senior Textiles Conservator

Smithsonian Museum Conservation Institute

4210 Silver Hill Road

Suitland, Maryland 20746

Tel 301-238-1210 Fax 301-238-3709