We take a full backup of the database every Sunday, which we retain for 30 days. We take a differential backup of the database every night, these are retained for 7 days. We take a log backup of the database every 15 minutes, which are retained for 24 hours.

All the backups are stored on a separate server. The database server has a snapshot taken every night as well.

We also take special full backups of the database every month that we retain for a year, and a full backup on NYE that we retain indefinitely.

On Wed, Aug 21, 2019, 9:19 AM Parsell, David <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
We back up the database and the images nightly.

The backups are kept for about a week.

We have the luxury of a large IT infrastructure at Yale University so they handle the backup storage details.

The only times we have had to restore a backup have occurred during a TMS upgrade when we had to scratch the upgrade and start over.

Whether you are a small or large museum, a nightly backup is the minimum requirement and you need to get the backups off-site.

If you were in the midst of extensive cataloging or image ingest, I would recommend a 2nd backup at lunchtime.

David Parsell

Yale Center for British Art

From: The Museum System (TMS) Users <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of April Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 4:47 PM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: TMS backups

Hi,

  We just had an issue with how our backups were being done by our contract IT person (we don’t have a dedicated person on-site). I have a few questions about how other museums handle this issue. Our database is not hosted by TMS.

1.      How often do you do backups of the database?

2.      How long do you keep the backups?

3.      Where are the backups stored?

4.      When you do the backups is it just of the database or do you include the file server (where all the media files etc. are stored), is that on a different schedule or is everything kept together?

We just recently switched to TMS and so all these processes are new to us, as our other system had an integrated backup which the Collections Department would handle, rather than having it managed by an outside IT person.

Thanks so much for any help on this topic,

April Brown
Registrar
The Charles Hosmer Morse Museum of American Art
Phone: (407) 645-5311  x. 105  |
Fax: (407) 647-1284

www.morsemuseum.org