External Email - Exercise Caution

Dear Alison

Can I step in quickly and suggest you may have set yourself up with an inconsistency? Your media numbering treats the front of album 1, page 1, as 1.1.1, and the back as 1.1.2. But your proposed numbering calls them 1.1 and 1.1.2. This is out of sync. I'd strongly recommend following the convention when foliating manuscripts of treating front and back (recto and verso ) as two children of the same entity (the page / leaf / folio), so your object numbering would match the media numbering, and be

CAM.1=Album as an object (Parent)

   CAM.1.1 First page (Intellectual Child)

   CAM.1.2 Second page (Intellectual Child)

   etc.

   CAM.1.1.1 First page-front of page (Virtual Child of Intellectual Child CAM.1.1)

   CAM.1.1.2 First page-back of page (Virtual Child of Intellectual Child CAM.1.1)

   CAM.1.2.1 Second page-front of page (Virtual Child of Intellectual Child CAM.1.2)

   CAM.1.2.2 Second page-back of page (Virtual Child of Intellectual Child CAM.1.2)

   etc.

Then  your media and object numbers would (a) match, and no further processing would be required to map one to another, and (b) it would reflect the status of both and front of the page as parts of the whole page, which to my mind is the correct hierarchy.

Best wishes

Rupert

Rupert Shepherd, PhD FSA

Collection Information Manager

E [log in to unmask]

T +44 (0)20 7747 5921

Please note that I usually work from home on Fridays; calls to the number above should still reach me.