External Email - Exercise Caution

Hello all,

I am reaching out to see what discussions other museums are having about the limitations of TMS and gaps in accurately recording gender identity, preferred pronouns, nationality (more than one), ethnicity, etc.?

We've had discussions with MoMA staff members about how the data is organized, how we can be more conscious of the way we track this information, how it is shared with staff, and then how the data pulled from the database influences other stats shared by the institution. We have now formed a working group to focus on specific blind spots in cataloguing in regards to database fields and how we report on them, context that is being left out when only sharing data and stats from TMS, and other information we should be capturing (such as gender beyond only 'male' and 'female').

Our department has had many internal discussions of the limitations and wanted to reach out to see how other institutions are addressing these issues with database organization as well as what you may be doing to remedy this - discussion groups, working with GS directly, internal working groups to share ideas and strategies, extra fields that have been added?

Thanks for your consideration! We look forward to hearing from you and continuing this discussion.

Hannah
--

Hannah Hoose
Coordinator, Collection & Exhibition Information (CEI)

11 West 53rd Street  New York, NY 10019
Tel: 212.708.9797

MoMA is temporarily closed to help New York City and our global community curb the spread of the coronavirus outbreak. We care about everyone’s health and safety. Learn more here.