I was wondering whether the inquiry was about nylon, polyester, or silk (crepeline) net?

The last—the silk—seemed to be undegummed—or regummed before weaving. Washing with warm water and a slightly alkaline or neutral liquid detergent seemed to remove the stiffness/sizing. There used to be perforated vertical cylinders made of polyethylene or polypropylene one could buy. The silk could be rolled and tied or clipped in place. Could the same effect be achieved with 2 slightly stiff synthetic washing screens and laying the net between them? Securing the net by basting it (quilting it) between such screens?

From: Textile Conservators <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Jane Hammond
Sent: Thursday, May 4, 2023 11:28 AM
To: ListServ texcons <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: conservation net

Most interested in any responses to this question, as I have observed the (faint) return of creases and fold marks on nylon netting used for encasement of a larger textile (40” x 50”). Steam heat from a household iron was used to remove distortions before the initial overlay. The net was pressed and stored rolled on a tube before use.

Any comments or observation will hopefully be shared with the group.

Best regards,

Jane Hammond

Textile conservator

ICA-Art Conservation