This email was sent to [log in to unmask] by [log in to unmask]
Click here to view it in your browser  |   [log in to unmask]&hitid=1239822237000" style="color:#333333;">Click here  to Unsubscribe.

The Fonzie Times                                                     March - April 2009

The 2009 Season is Here!

Spring is here and so is the 2009 Season.  Here at IDC we’ve been busy preparing to welcome friends both old and new.  The season kicked off with some great new friends like Jenna, Jonah, Sara and more (see recent photos).  Our beautiful garden was part of this year’s Garden Tour in February and the new baby dolphins are thriving.  Don’t miss our upcoming workshops.  Please read on.  We hope to hear from you soon. – The IDC Team

Reservations are still available for the 2009 season – Reserve Now! @ 305-451-5884

We Need Your Help

 We are receiving more scholarship requests than ever before.  Donations are needed for this season.  Your contribution is greatly appreciated!

Upcoming Events...

Lindsey Biel, a Sensory Integration Therapist practicing in New York City and author of Raising a Sensory Smart Child, the first practical, hands-on guide for parents, teachers and others who work with children with sensory problems and Sensory Integration (SI) dysfunction, will be presenting a lecture on April 23rd

For more information view flyer or contact Clara at

About Sensory Integration:

“Sensory integration refers to how a person registers, processes, and uses all the various sensations coming from within the body and the environment. We usually think of the senses as separate channels of information, but they actually work together to give us a reliable picture of the world and our place in it. For instance, right now your senses are working together to read this. You hear background sounds and feel clothing, shoes, and the chair beneath you. You easily keep yourself in a seated position. You see letters on the computer screen. All your senses are integrated. Without conscious effort, you are filtering out sensations that are not important so you can get meaning out of what you are reading.

If you occasionally lose focus on what you're doing because the clothing label in your shirt annoys you, you have a mild sensory issue. If you stop reading because you keep sliding off your chair, look up from the computer every time you hear a car outside, feel like your shirt is strangling you, and get dizzy because the letters seem to pulsate, you're experiencing sensory processing disorder--also known as sensory integration dysfunction (SID).

While we all have sensory preferences and tolerances, SI dysfunction can significantly interfere with play, learning, and social interactions. It's extremely useful to understand how this works and what can be done to help if you or a child you care about has sensory integration issues.”

Don’t forget to inquire about our weekly workshops!

Welcome Soldiers!

IDC’s Wounded Soldier Program will be welcoming a group of soldiers returning from Iraq and Afghanistan in May.  The program gives soldiers the opportunity to relax and enjoy the serene environment and swim with the dolphins.

IDC Coming to a School in Your Area

Thanks to the New Portable Touch Tank donated by The Ocean Fund, IDC can bring the ocean to you.  Call us and have our invertebrates come to your school!

Beating the Heat

No more fainting from the heat while you watch!  Coolers and fans donated for the chichee hut and walkways help keep you cool on those hot summer days

Dolphins will be Spencer’s teachers

Harrison Daily Times - Harrison, AR, USA
The IDC Web site includes testimonials from families and children who have experienced
dolphin-assisted therapy. One little girl wrote, “You mean so much to ...

Baby Dolphin Update

Our baby dolphins Grace and Lotus are doing great!

She is the prodigy baby dolphin – Grace is now doing most behaviors loves people & is very curious & eager to learn everything! She has the best of her mom & dads personalities!

Lotus is an adorable little girl.  She is very independent and curious!  She loves bringing presents to everyone and loves to spin! She is full of spunk and spirit and loves learning every day.

Recent therapy photos...

Please take a moment to enjoy some recent photographs taken of the children and families at Island Dolphin Care. Click here

A special visit from...

The Geshe Nyima Kunkyap Rinpoche visited Island Dolphin Care.

He met Lotus, Squirt & Bella
as shown in the above photo! The Rinpoche is visiting the United States offering blessings & teachings to those interested. He is also fundraising to build an orphanage for 25 orphaned children in his care.

Congratulations
Deena & Peter ...

Deena and Peter Hoagland received a Lifetime Achievement Award at this year’s Inspire Greatness Awards dinner for Special Olympics.

Photos courtesy of Jim Donnelly, Image Masters Photography

Links & Resources...
© Island Dolphin Care 2009. This entire newsletter and its content is copyright.
Island Dolphin Care, 150 Lorelane Place
Key Largo, Florida 33027, Tel: 305.451.5884
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
http://www.islanddolphincare.org