From:
K Hatziantoniou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 May 2008 00:54:57 +0100
Dear Mrs Peranteau

Thank you very much for your information. They do help indeed as it justifies previous consultation I had.

Konstantinos Chatziantoniou
Textile Conservator
Museum of Islamic Art
Doha
Cornice Street
P.O.Box 2777
Qatar

> Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 11:13:02 -0400
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Pressure Mounting
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> Hi Textilians,
>
> When I was a student I did some preliminary experiments that attempted
> to show how effective pressure mounts were at buffering fluctuations in
> RH.  An additional useful reference not on the list that Elpida just
> circulated:
>

> Dierdre Windsor, Linda Hillyer, Dinah Eastop "The Role of Pressure
> Mounting in Textile Conservation: Recent Application of US Technique" in
> Preprints of the 13th Triennial Meeting ICOM-CC, vol II. Rio (2002) pp.
> 755-760.
>

> There were a number of problems with the experimental technique that I
> used and unfortunately I was not able to get a very good set of data
> points.  With the set up used, it was difficult to obtain data on how
> well the pressure mount could act as a buffer during extended periods of
> high humidity, and how well it could buffer repeated changes.
> Also, the type of data logger used was a HOBO unit, about ˝” thick,
> rather than the sword probe used by Windsor et al., so it had to be
> nested in a layer of Volara between the solid support and the batting,
> below the Plexiglas.  This obviously does not imitate as well the
> position of the textile in the mount.   So in conclusion, there are at
> least three aspects of the set up I would have changed:  I would have
> used a sword probe inside the pressure mount, put the whole assembly
> into a chamber much larger than the assembly, and would have engineered
> it so that the data logger/pressure mount assembly could be subjected to
> fluctuations in RH without the need to transfer it in and out of the
> chamber.
>
> That said, during a 6-day period in the chamber, the RH inside the mount
> did rise from 55% RH of the lab environment to the 65% RH inside the
> chamber, seeming to suggest that the pressure mount was not able to
> completely buffer changes in RH.  It seemed to do better during shorter
> cycles.  I wondered at the time whether this was because a good deal of
> moisture was absorbed by the paper Tycore panel, and whether this
> phenonmenon might create problems in places where there would be
> extended periods of high humidity, mold growth, etc.  At any rate, there
> seems to be a lot of room for additional research in this area.
>
> Also, with regard to Konstantinos's question, I was taught to pressure
> mount (fragile Islamic textile fragments) with polyester felt; cotton
> was thought to not have adequate loft/resilience for the job.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Anne Peranteau

Great deals on almost anything at eBay.co.uk. Search, bid, find and win on eBay today!
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/msnnkmgl0010000004ukm/direct/01/