From:
K Hatziantoniou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2008 13:10:13 +0100
Hello Mr Ahmed

Thank you for the consultation on the frame-making for the nan embroidered textiles. The frame you created is clearly strong enough to curry the weight of the textile. My problem though is not how to make a very strong and flat board but how to avoid stitch the textile on its silk ground fabric and overall to avoid allowing the textile to lift its own weight. I am sure of course that a proper-made board is part of this process. I will take on board your idea and advices. Thank you particularly for the pictures you sent.

Much obliged.

Konstantinos Chatziantoniou
textile and Paper conservator
Museum of Islamic Art
Al Corniche
Doha
P.O.Box 2777
Qatar
Email: [log in to unmask]
Tel: +974 6980254
________________________________
> Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 10:52:12 -0700
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Exhibiting vertically a very heavy embroidered textile in a museum gallery
> To: [log in to unmask]
>

> Dear K Hatziantoniou
>

> First of all I have pleasure e-mailing you from Athens. I conserved more historical textiles and carpets in The Islamic Art Museum in Cairo- Egypt, and in Faculty of archeology museum -Egypt. One step from this work exhibition. for exhibiting vertically a heavy nan embroidered textiles and carpets I created a new metallic frame which has more advantages. after that Fixing the rings to the metallic after making pores in the frame. A linen support was used after supporting the edges which were perforated. then, rings were fixed on this perforation for easy stretching on the metallic. the final step is fixing the textile on the linen support.
>

> A part from this work was presented as paper in Interim Meeting ICOM Conservation Committee - Athens- Greece- 2004. E-mail included some photos for this frame, Generally this method was very suitable for a heavy nan embroidered textiles that I conserved before.
>

> accept my best wishes
>
> sincerely
>
> Harby E. Ahmed
>

> --- On Wed, 6/18/08, K Hatziantoniou