From:
"Choi, Jennie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2006 14:41:27 -0400
Brenda:
The MMA began using eMuseum 3.4 in November 2004. It is accessible through our intranet and is intended for staff use only. We have 20 separate TMS databases, each curatorial department has it's own database (some have more than one). eMuseum is the only way we have of searching across the entire collection. We have given departments the option of choosing which records they wish to include in eMuseum, currently we have roughly 230,000 records available. The records are refreshed nightly.

Fields displayed and searched are limited to basic tombstone information. We do not include any confidential information such as Value, Donors, Storage Location, or Previous Owners.

Because eMuseum is accessed by multiple departments and is being used by people unfamiliar with TMS fields and how they are used we had to create some customized search fields. This prevents users from having to guess which TMS fields to choose for searching.
In Advanced Query we created the following fields:
"Geography"-searches all the TMS geography fields.
"Culture/Nationality"-searches both the Culture and Nationality TMS fields.
"Period/Reign/Dynasty"-searches all three TMS fields.
"Keyword"-searches all the Simple Search fields.

The Simple Search box is set up to search 14 fields. We also use the Search box that includes options for "All Words", "Any Words", and "Exact Phrase". This is useful for searching Titles and Credit lines.

Currently we are only displaying the Primary Image for an object, no alternate views.

We used the basic eMuseum interface design, with very little customization. We included field names in the single object view and we created our own Help section. Right now there's bug when trying to sort fields in descending order in List View. Anyone else have that problem?

Fields we would like to include in the future are: our Status Flag "Credit Line Approved", so staff can know which credit lines are accurate; Gallery location for objects on view, Bibliography and Exhibition History.

We worked with Gallery Systems in implementation and creating customizations. We also have an excellent in-house SQL dba, who helped setup things on the backend. Ideally, it would be nice to have an in-house XML expert to help with future modifications. We had to rely on Gallery Systems for all of that.

Because of the complexity of our collection and the lack of standards across the 20 databases, there are many features we are not using, like the "See Also" link on Artist names and security Profiles. As eMuseum becomes more relied upon by staff members we hope to expand its functionality in the future.

Feel free to contact me directly if you have more questions.

Jennie Choi
Metropolitan Museum of Art