From:
Joseph Leduc <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 2007 10:41:58 -0500
Hello,

I've been a subscriber for the little more than a year since our institution adopted TMS, but this is my first message to the group, and it's regarding a question that's been driving me crazy.  I've been trying to put together a new catalog sheet report, almost all of which is completely straightforward except for one issue that I can't manage to figure out.  We frequently have objects, especially prints, that have mutiple Object-Related Constituents--first the artist, then another artist the work was done after, sometimes a publisher, perhaps a printer, etc.  The only consistent aspect of the Display Order is that the creator of the object at hand will be 1, with the "after" artist generally 2--but if it's not "after" anyone, it's possible that the printer or publisher will be 2, there's just no way to have a general rule.  It's the Role that they play that really identifies them.

The problem is, I need to have separate lines on the catalog sheet where these Consistuents will be displayed all in their proper place.  Getting the artist to appear is no problem, but how can I get Crystal Reports to drop the artist's Display Name where it should go, but also sort out the other Object-Related Constituents to drop into the "Artist After:", "Printer:", "Publisher:" slots?  I'm hoping there's some simple way that my inexperience with Crystal has blinded me to, causing much amusement to the readers of this list before someone takes pity and points it out to me.  Then again, I haven't seen any report doing this among the ones from GS or that we've picked up from here, so I'm a little concerned.  Thanks to anyone who can help.  Best wishes--

Joe Leduc, Associate Registrar
Worcester Art Museum
55 Salisbury Street
Worcester, MA 01609-3196