From:
"Garton, Susan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 2007 11:26:29 -0500

Dear Joe,

Now imagine having sitters (often just one, but sometimes 2 or 3 or 57)
that display before your artist, and you can see the problem that
plagues the National Portrait Gallery every day on TMS! And try sorting
reports on any of these constituents' names besides the one that
displays first! We have twisted our brains over the issue for years, and
there is no complete solution to the problem. Even the programmers at
Gallery Systems are unable to make it possible for us to see both
sitters and artists in our list views because of this very problem.

NPG has roles just like yours for prints, and they just display in
whatever order they're entered in in our reports (we try to be
consistent.) If there is no "Copy after:", then "Printer:" or
"Publisher:" or whatever follows "Artist:". Can you just print the role
followed by the name to distinguish each and let them go in whatever
order they're entered? If you are using text objects as headings for
each field, like "PRINTER: ", then you can use a subreport for each
different type of constituent and put a select within these subreports
for each particular role?

I'm attaching our accession sheet report in case it's helpful to you.
The artist subreport is a little complicated b/c it's supposed to print
all of our "artists" and "secondary artists" together, but "artists"
before "secondary artists". But you can see how we separated artists
from sitters.

Feel free to write again or call me if this is on the right track for
you and I can be of further assistance.

Susan Garton
Data Administrator
Center for Electronic Research and Outreach Services
National Portrait Gallery, Smithsonian Institution
Phone: (202) 633-8554 / Fax: (202) 633-8254
E-mail: [log in to unmask]