From:
"Parsell, David" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2012 20:13:45 +0000
The ExportForImport listview works well for entering new records in TMS or updating fields in existing records. I have used it for both functions.

However, there is a limited number of fields that can be updated in TMS using the listview.

If you need to move more data to TMS than the available fields in the listview, there are a number of methods.

1. Cut and paste from Excel to TMS (tedious I know, but sometimes the best method).

2. Hire Gallery Systems or a local SQL server expert to import the data into TMS. It can be done, but it is not for the faint of heart.

First step is to evaluate just how much data you have to import to TMS. That analysis will determine whether it is more efficient to manually cut and paste or hire someone to import the data.

I am assuming that the TMS records already exist, if not then the ExportForImport is a good method for creating the records and getting some of your data into TMS.

You don't mention the size of your collection, so I can't advise which is the best method.

Since you appear to be photography orientated, I would expect you to have a lot of photo metadata, which cannot be imported with ExportForImport.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

David Parsell
Systems Manager Collections Information and Access
Yale Center for British Art
britishart.yale.edu
2034329603