From:
Linda Pulliam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2006 12:43:42 -0400
Brenda,

At MFA,Boston we have been using eMuseum, via our intranet, since
September 2005. It was implemented for our staff and volunteers who
require "read only" access to the data and images in the following
Modules: Objects, Constituents, Exhibitions, Bibliography, Events, and
Sites (we have a Site record for each exhibition gallery). The Modules
listed above all have media linked to them which facilitates our photo
ordering process. The staff who are most pleased with eMu are Visitor
Services, and our Mac users (about 25% of the eMu hits are from Mac
users).

If you've included additional fields in your installation, which are
they?
In the objects module we include fields from Rights and Reproductions,
Alternate Numbers, select Status Flags, and select Text Entries.

A few years ago we began using one of the extra fields that TMS 9.20
provides for a "Keyword" field and since then volunteers have been
populating the field with terms that do not appear on the regular object
record. This is the only "additional" field that has been added to
eMuseum. The "Keyword" field is incorporated into the keyword search
feature in eMuseum together with Title, Name (which we re-named to Type,
Sub-type), Description, Related Constituents (including alternate
names), Culture, and Material. Because of eMu's ability to do keyword
searching, many of the 300 plus staff who have full access to TMS use
eMu for their keyword searches.

What kinds of screen/search customizations have you made?
We removed the "See Related Items..." sidebar and went with a linear
page design. All of the Xrefs between modules are list below all of the
standard fields for each module.

We have instituted an "object of the day" feature. Since we launched
eMu 20 months ago only 16 packages (we call them "My Favorites") have
been made, including the several created by system administrators.

What we hold back:
Object Module - Sensitive information stored in Notes and Curatorial
remarks, all conservation fields, accessioning and deaccessioning
information, values, storage locations. Accession-related or
Ex-collection-related Constituents. Object records for incoming loans
(unless the objects are on exhibit), deaccessioned objects,
Loan Module - No fields available
Shipping Module - No fields available
Exhibition Module - Exhibitions in the planning stages

Data is renewed and new media files are synchronized daily.
370,000 objects
242,000 media files

We can send screen shots of our interfaces if you wish to see them.

Linda Pulliam and Jeff Steward
Museum of Fine Arts, Boston