MOMS Archives

Museum on Main Street

MOMS@SI-LISTSERV.SI.EDU

From:
"Davis, Robbie" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Museum on Main Street <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 2013 16:28:29 +0000
Everyone,

Many of you are familiar with the Stories from Main Street smartphone application that debuted back in September 2011. The response we received is impressive, with more than 15,000 downloads. We are so pleased with the great stories that people in communities all across the country recorded via the app. And, we've been excited by the response from councils and host communities that have used the app as part of their programming. MoMS communities everywhere have encouraged visitors to tell us stories and given us a chance to share them with the world. Thank you!

That's why we're so excited to announce major updates to the app that will give host communities more flexibility and give our users a variety of new options. One of the comments we frequently heard from communities was "Why aren't there questions just for [insert exhibition title]." The app now offers exhibition-specific questions to help communities use the app in an even more targeted fashion. But, our core questions on what it means to live in rural America are still there. Also, users can share their recordings with friends by e-mail, text message or Twitter directly from the app. Pretty cool. Add in a slick (but very easy to use) new graphic interface and we're excited to ask you to give it a try. From the administrative end, we also have the ability to create special temporary questions to the mix, which offers some exciting educational possibilities.

If you have an iPhone or iPad and you haven't checked out the app, please do. Or, if you haven't updated to the new version, please go ahead. The download is free!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/stories-from-main-street/id460867219?mt=8

For our friends using Android-based phones and tablets, we're not leaving you behind. We have a developer under contract to develop a version for you that we hope will be ready late in the fall. And, if you're not into the smartphone thing, we'll have you covered soon, with a web-based template that will allow audio recording directly from the Stories from Main Street website.

The MoMS team thanks you and all of your local hosts for using the app. We believe that there are great opportunities for this tool in future exhibitions and educational activities. We appreciate everything that you do to help those efforts come to life in your states.

Many thanks,
Robbie

Robbie Davis
Project Director, Museum on Main Street
Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service
PO Box 37012 MRC 941
Washington, DC 20013-7012
202-633-5335