MOMS Archives

Museum on Main Street

MOMS@SI-LISTSERV.SI.EDU

From:
"Davis, Robbie" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Museum on Main Street <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 2014 13:57:28 +0000
Everyone,
Vote today! What's the most iconic thing or character at the Smithsonian? Vote for your favorite by August 4 and be entered to win a grand prize package and a unique Smithsonian 3-D print!
It's the ultimate competition, and we believe that our lovable hero, Wile E. Coyote, created by animator Chuck Jones in 1949, represents the best of our content, characters, and creativity. Jones brought to life the characters Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner for the cartoon Fast and Furry-ous. He was inspired by author Mark Twain's description of the coyote as "a long, slim, sick and sorry-looking skeleton" that is "a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry." Jones directed or co-directed more than 25 Coyote and Road Runner cartoons, which illustrate the purest expression of his approach to screen comedy.

In the Smithsonian Showdown, Wile E. Coyote is pitted against Wonder Woman, and well, the coyote need your help! Caste a vote for underdogs everywhere!
Vote now to advance us to the next round! In the words of the Road Runner "Beep!" "Beep!"
http://showdown.si.edu/?s_src=siod_cm074pessnmaiem

[Image attached. Credit:] Film still, Beep Beep (1952); Film still courtesy Warner Bros.; Looney Tunes Characters (c) & TM Warner Bros. From the traveling exhibition "What's Up, Doc? The Animation Art of Chuck Jones."  The exhibition is a partnership between the Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service, The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, The Chuck Jones Center for Creativity, and the Museum of the Moving Image.

Thanks!
RD