MOMS Archives

Museum on Main Street

MOMS@SI-LISTSERV.SI.EDU

From:
Paul McCoy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Museum on Main Street <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2011 11:36:48 -0600
Hey Robbie,
The Women's National Basketball Hall of Fame is located in Knoxville. As I
recall, their collection includes some great resources on traveling women's
basketball teams in the southeast around the 40s.

http://www.wbhof.com/

Paul

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 3:17 PM, Davis, Robbie <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Everyone,
>
> As you know from Carol's announcement, we're excited that our
> newly-selected "Hometown Teams" exhibition is beginning development. Of
> course, that also means we've got a lot of work ahead of us. We'd love to
> have your help and input as we begin identifying images for the exhibition.
>
> Our many journeys for MoMS have taught us many things. Perhaps most
> importantly, we know that communities, small museums and small historical
> societies all over the country have vast collections -- objects, images, you
> name it. And, we believe that "Hometown Teams" will really benefit from
> identifying images from every corner of the country to illustrate the impact
> that sports has on building nation and community.
>
> Here's our plea. We know that you all know your state's cultural
> organizations extremely well. Your own travels in your states have likely
> revealed great local collections of sports images. Could you please let us
> know of communities and museums in your state that you know have important
> images reflecting sports history in your state or in their community? It
> could be photos from a 1925 basketball championship game, or a photo of
> crowds at a high school football game, or the first African American
> baseball player in a rural community. We would like to begin researching and
> obtaining images for the exhibition immediately. Leads from you will help us
> tremendously. We look to many great archives and repositories to develop
> MoMS exhibitions. We'll research them again for this project, but we feel
> strongly this time that photos documenting local sports tend to remain close
> to home. We know that including these images will make this project
> incredibly rich and provide a solid foundation for superb local exhibitions
> and programs.
>
> Please feel free to contact me ([log in to unmask]), Tiffany Ruhl (
> [log in to unmask]), and Alex Charleston ([log in to unmask]) with any
> suggestions. We're also planning to send a note next week to past and future
> venues in our database to request their help and will mention our search on
> our blog, Facebook page and Twitter feed.
>
> Thanks in advance for helping us with this project.
>
> All the best,
> Robbie
>
> Robbie Davis
> Project Director, Museum on Main Street
> Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service
> P.O. Box 37012 MRC 941
> Washington, DC 20013-7012
> 202-633-5335

Paul McCoy