MOMS Archives

Museum on Main Street

MOMS@SI-LISTSERV.SI.EDU

From:
"Thatcher, Sydney" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Museum on Main Street <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jun 2020 20:57:58 +0000
Everyone,

It is with great pleasure that we write to invite MoMS hosts to participate in our Stories: YES program in 2021. Our Stories: YES 2021 program period will begin in January.

The goal of Stories: YES is to engage local youth in the creation of digital stories that complement the content of a visiting MoMS exhibition. Through the program, we provide host organizations funds to purchase equipment and software to record and edit digital stories. Youth learn about primary source research using local resources and develop 21st Century skills such as critical thinking and problem solving. The end result is an impressive community engagement program that helps young people work closely with adults, demonstrate their skills and creativity, and build local interest and discussion around the exhibition. Local stories truly do matter to people!

Check out these sample projects:

Hometown Teams-inspired An Unforgettable Season (2018)<https://museumonmainstreet.org/content/unforgettable-season-2012-state-champions-boys-basketball>

Water/Ways-inspired Pollution of Our Waterways in Central Illinois (2016)<https://museumonmainstreet.org/content/pollution-our-waterways-central-illinois>

Crossroads inspired The Future of Farming in DeKalb County<https://museumonmainstreet.org/content/future-farming-dekalb-county-organic-farming>

Crossroads inspired Monticello Crossroads (2019)<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9St_C6xD14> (This video is 50 minutes long but a great watch!)

This is an excellent opportunity for organizations that would benefit from developing stronger relationships with youth programs or schools. Youth projects become part of MoMS’ Stories from Main Street program and are distributed via the Museum on Main Street website. Stories: YES also helps exhibition hosts to demonstrate their importance as a long-term local resource, particularly since they keep any equipment that’s purchased through the program. If you are interested the upcoming proposal deadline is June 26, 2020. Program information is attached to this email and if interested you can contact us for more information.

We use selected partner proposals to apply for internal Smithsonian funding. Our application for that funding source is due at the beginning of August. Stories: YES has been generously supported for the last six years; but it is competitive, so funding is not guaranteed.

For more information on Stories: YES, please contact me, Sydney Thatcher, the Stories: YES Program Coordinator at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>; 973-617-7485 or Robbie Davis, MoMS Project Director, at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>; 202-633-5335. We’re happy to help any interested community and walk them through the process of creating a proposal. For additional information on the program and to view other great projects from young people, please visit our website's Stories: YES page at: https://museumonmainstreet.org/content/stories-yes.

Thank you,

Sydney

Sydney Thatcher
Stories: YES Program Coordinator
Museum on Main Street, Smithsonian Institution
M: 973-617-7485