MOMS Archives

Museum on Main Street

MOMS@SI-LISTSERV.SI.EDU

From:
Jennifer Weiskotten <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Museum on Main Street <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 2010 09:21:42 -0500
Hello all!  I will start out by saying that Virginia is inundated with Civil
War everything-not just during the anniversary years, but all the time.
That said, it is what brings people here, and I would be interested in an
exhibit that explores the War from a new perspective.not something that has
been overdone before.  You might take a look at the American Civil War
Center's exhibits here in Richmond for ideas.  I think they do a splendid
job of highlighting elements of the war that most museums don't.

So I think Virginia would be interested, and I don't think it would need to
open in 2011.

That said, please pray that our state's humanities council (which helps us
bring these exhibits to Virginia) will survive the upcoming budget bill.
They are slated, along with our state commission for the arts, to be totally
eliminated.  This, of course, would make any future MOMS exhibit here
impossible.

Jennifer

Jennifer Weiskotten Thomas

Program Director

Virginia Association of Museums

804-788-5823

Register now for VAM's annual conference!