From:
von Lerber Karin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Apr 2016 09:03:09 +0200
Dear Holly,
we have just printed inkjet onto Polyester (Trevira CS) with great succes. In an ensemble of 19 textile covered walls, the fabric of 3 wall surfaces had been cut out at a certain point. The copy allowed for optical integrity of the room setting.
We started with an excellent photogrammetry-photo taken by professional photogrammeters who regularly work with conservators. They also added the taken images to provide the full printing length (not only a report) in order to make sure there was no mistakes in weave-structure alignment as well as in print pattern alignment (this is not the same…), and taking care of even reducing the original fabric distortion. Their compiled image allowed for 1:1 printing in high resolution quality without further changes before printing. I have to insist, that the image source you use has to be of very good quality at 1:1 scale. Otherwise a good printing result will not be possible.
For the printing medium, we had test-prints made by several businesses on a variety of materials: nonvoven, paper, textile. All provided outstanding optical quality, however, most supports were slightly shiny at the surface and had a smell. It turned out, that most printing supports use a thin PVC-coating. The only sample without shine and PVC was a thin Polyester fabric (100% PLF CS) „Universal IV“ by Création Baumann (data sheet: https://www.creationbaumann.com/produkte_detail_en,693693,250192,detail.pdf?sprache_kuerzel=en ). Even though this fabric was somewhat sheer when under tension, we had the inkjetprint (light resistant pigment ink used for curtain prints) done on this fabric by Creation Baumann in Langenthal, Switzerland, a business known for outstanding quality of their print design textiles. For them this was the first time to print for a conservation copy, but we were very satisfied. The only problem really was the sheer quality of the fabrich which, once the fabric was stretched and fixed on the wall, left the white colour of the wall shimmering through. Fortunately our client was quite happy to have the copy slightly lighter than the original to show the difference, but in case the print needed to be a solid color, I would make Creation Baumann search for a different fabric.
In conclusion about the inks: High quality textile print industries will have much more experience than we do on which printing ink to use on what support. We just have to clearly state our needs (e.g. high end color stability for curtains/ for blue wool standard 6-8, no off-gasing even upon ageing and - very important! - wash fast at cold to medium temperatures).
I am runing a cheap and dirty light ageing test with the above mentioned print in my lab window (east sunshine, no UV-Protection right at the glas) with a blue wool standard besides; but as of now (2 months into the process) there is no visible change.

Attached find an image of the print. The twill weave structure is printed. I have folded the printed fabric over, so the white part on the left is the reverse of the printed Trevira CS.
Good luck with your project.

Karin von Lerber
Dipl. Textilkonservatorin FH
Konservatorin-Restauratorin SKR®

25 Jahre Atelier für Textilkonservierung – 19 Jahre Ideen für Museen
Prev art GmbH - Atelier für Textilkonservierung
Dipl. Textilkonservatorin-Restauratorin FH / SKR Karin von Lerber
CH - 8405 Winterthur // Oberseenerstrasse 93 // Tel. + 41 (0)52 233 12 54
e-mail [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> // www.prevart.ch <http://www.prevart.ch/>