From:
Jane Hammond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2013 15:20:05 -0500
Sounds like a cellulose nitrate-coated fabric to me, certainly a popular (and less costly) leather-like upholstery cover material of that period.  There have been a number of papers published about assessment and treatment of period upholstery covers of this material, and you shouldn't have much trouble finding reference materials regarding testing.  I'm out of the office today and don't have access to my library, but you might want to contact list member Helen Alten, if you need more immediately answers.

Jane Hammond
ICA-Art Conservation
www.ica-artconservation.org