From:
Yadin Larochette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Dec 2013 11:04:20 -0800
Hi everyone,

This is a query from paintings conservator and friend Laura Rivers. I am
posting on her behalf.  Please send all responses to her directly at:

I need to isolate copper plated steel tacks from an original canvas. I have
considered coating them, but have come back around to the idea of a
physical barrier (mylar, twill tape, or blotter), which is what we usually
use in paintings conservation.  In this case, the physical barrier needs to
be invisible, beneath the head of the tack, since the tacking edge will be
on display.

I am considering using mylar dots made with a hole punch and then pressed
onto the tack, but it occurred to me that sequins already have the hole in
the center.  Are there sequins that textile conservators consider stable
like mylar?  I am also interested in handheld sequin punchers, if they
exist.  An internet search of crafting sites has not turned up such a
device.  Ordinarily, we would use the mylar dots and simply make the holes,
but I will need to prepare this barrier for thousands of tacks, thus the
quest to streamline production!

--

*Yadin Larochette*

Owner of Larochette Textile Conservation LLC, and

Conservation Consultant to Tru Vue for Latin America

5239 Sepulveda Blvd., Suite 3, Culver City, CA 90230

Tel: (310) 808-7979