From:
Joanne Hackett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2012 13:08:42 +0100
Hi Anne,
I forwarded you query to Julia Hutt and Rupert Faulkner in our Asia department - Julia identified the subject immediately (mind like a steel trap). She also attached a scan of the useful sounding book in her reply.

'No problem- this is a relatively straightforward subject that is quite widely depicted! The fukusa depicts Kosekiko on a horse on a bridge holding a scroll in his hand. Meanwhile Choryo is reaching out to retrieve Kosekiko's shoe (directly beneath his hand in the water) which has fallen into the dragon infested water!

For full and lengthy details (what it all means etc), see Will H. Edmunds, 'Pointers and Clues to the Subjects of Chinese and Japanese Art, 1934, though there are many more recent reprints. I am attaching a scan of the relevant pages.

I hope this helps,
Julia '

Julia and Rupert agree that the piece is Meiji period (1868-1912) and most probably made for Western export.

Best
Joanne Hackett
Victoria and Albert Museum

>>> Anne Murray <[log in to unmask]> 22/10/2012 22:46 >>>

Hi all,
I have a client who has a Japanese Fukusa that she would like information on: age, what story the image is telling etc. The piece is 27" x 34" blue silk bordered with red silk crepe. The silk and gold thread embroidery shows a old man on a horse on a bridge over a river. Under the bridge is a golden dragon, across the river is a warrior between them in the river is a golden slipper. If anyone has any ideas on where to start researching this (other than general searches on the internet) I would appreciate any advice. Attached is a picture the client supplied.
Thanks for your help in advance
Anne Murray

Murray Conservation Services
3301 N Viewpoint DriveMidwest City, OK

405.618.8282

See the exhibition for free if you join as a V&A Member
www.vam.ac.uk/members

Modern British Childhood, 1948-2012
13 October 2012 - 14 April 2013 at V&A Museum of Childhood Admission
free

Keep in touch
Sign up for V&A e-newsletters www.vam.ac.uk/signup
Become a fan on Facebook.com/VictoriaandAlbertMuseum
(http://www.facebook.com/VictoriaandAlbertMuseum )
Follow us on Twitter.com/V_and_A ( http://www.twitter.com/V_and_A )

The information contained in this message is confidential and intended only
for the individual named above. If you are not the intended recipient, or responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or disclosure of this information is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us by telephone on 020 7942 2353.