From:
Yadin Larochette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 2013 17:02:43 -0700
*Conserving Modernity: The Articulation of Innovation*

9th North American Textile Conservation Conference

San Francisco, California

The North American Textile Conservation Conference (NATCC) is now opening
related tours to the public. Feel free to join us by registering at
natcconference.com

There are still spaces available for the East Bay tour:

East Bay Innovation – Full Day Cultural Tour

*Day: Saturday November 16**th**, 2013*

*Time: 9:30am – 5pm *

*Cost: $95/person.  Includes box lunch and transportation.*

*Bus will depart and drop off at the Kensington Park Hotel, 450 Post Street*

The East Bay offers a multitude of artist studios, art communities and
collections with some of the most innovative people involved in textiles
today. On this tour we will visit a world class variety of artists and
collections.

We start the day by visiting the Phoebe Hearst Museum of Anthropology’s
collection facilities to see their recent collections re-housing project
and view their extensive Native American basket collection as well as other
textiles in the collection.

Next, we will visit the Berkeley Art Center, where the exhibit New Media
Combinations portrays how "traditional media and digital technologies have
long merged to create new frameworks for artists interested in exploring
infinite combinations." This exhibit features two of the artists we will
visit on our tour.  A gourmet box lunch will be served following the visit.

[image: Inline image 1]

Close by we will visit the studio of Lia Cook – a legendary figure in the
art world as well as important teacher of the textile arts at CCAC for many
years. We will tour her studio and grounds, designed by master-gardener
husband Mark Delepine, and learn more about her innovative work with
neuroscientists unlocking the emotional response to woven faces.

 [image: Inline image 2]

We will head to Oakland to visit Magnolia Editions and its founders Donald
and Era Farnsworth. Brilliant at facilitating artists’ work into many
media, we will learn of digital printing technologies for textiles as well
as their work producing Jacquard woven tapestries of leading artists work.

Finally, to round out the trip, we will visit Lacis, a specialty store with
traditional and hard to find sewing supplies and books. They also feature a
gallery of textiles from the store’s collection, and many gorgeous vintage
costumes and accessories.

Click here to register.<https://ww2.eventrebels.com/er/Registration/StepRegInfo.jsp?ActivityID=9405&StepNumber=1&Submit=Reset>

For more information regarding the tour destinations, please visit:

www.liacook.com

www.magnoliaeditions.com

www.hearstmuseum.berkely.edu/

http://www.berkeleyartcenter.edu/ <http://www.hearstmuseum.berkely.edu/>