From:
Kate Sahmel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 May 2016 18:18:39 -0400
Dear Textile Conservation Colleagues,

The following message is from AIC e-Editor Rachael Perkins Arenstein:

Dear colleagues,

I have received inquiries from colleagues who asked if they missed the
advertisement of the ANNUAL MEETING BLOG SIGNUP SPREADSHEET.  It is
encouraging to know that people have been waiting eagerly for the chance to
sign up and blog from the Montreal meeting!  Well, here it is….

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QVD4qpSiALd9urUKnlYHPjv8m66YiZMEzSNeN8NFf3E/edit?usp=sharing

There is a separate tab down at the bottom for each SG or session.  Next,
input your name and email next to the talk you are interested in covering.
Easy!  The limit for signup is two talks so that nobody feels overwhelmed.

*ALL VOLUNTEERS WHO COMPLETE TWO ENTRIES WILL BE ENTERED INTO A DRAWING TO
WIN A FREE 2017 ANNUAL MEETING REGISTRATION! Better odds than the
PowerBall.*

If you are attending the upcoming AIC-CAC annual meeting I hope that you
will volunteer to blog from the conference.  Writing a good blog post can
take some time but covering a couple of talks is very manageable.  Here are
a few things to know:

·         You do not blog in real time so you don’t need a laptop or
internet access at the conference– the best way is to take notes and then
write up your thoughts later (ideally by the end of the conference or
shortly thereafter).

·         You need not be an experienced blogger nor particularly tech
savvy.  The Wordpress blog format is extremely easy to use and any
necessary hand-holding will happily be provided to make you feel
comfortable online.  You will receive an account on the blog and
instruction sheets and guidelines.  If you can send an email – you can
create a blog post.

·         There is no pressure to be particularly witty.  Active tense,
first-person and personal style are all encouraged in blog posts - this is
a chance to free yourself from the writing constraints of condition
reports!  While all posts should be professional overall, the tone is
somewhat between reporting and “what I did over my summer vacation”.  The
best posts tell why you were interested in the topic and what you learned,
you aren’t expected to be writing the speaker’s postprint so you don’t need
to capture every detail.  The goal is for readers to learn more about the
talk than they would gain from the abstract.  Tips and Guidelines will be
provided for all volunteers.

·         In addition to the talks we also value reviews of the workshops,
pre-sessions other network events.

Each year we receive feedback from colleagues who couldn’t make it to the
annual meeting that the blog posts were interesting and informative.  For
the past several years we had so many fabulous concurrent session that even
those present at the meeting couldn’t attend all the talks they were
interested in and found that they could get a taste of what they missed
using the blog(www.conservators-converse.org).  Our blog sees a huge
increase in traffic due to annual meeting posts with almost 600 unique
visits per day.  We know that many colleagues are looking forward to
hearing more about the conference and hope that some of you will volunteer,
share your thoughts from the meeting.  If you are interested in
volunteering or hearing more, please contact me off list using the
information below.

Thank you,

Rachael

AIC e-Editor