From:
Suzanne Stephens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jul 2009 12:49:44 -0400
We started out with recto/verso works as two records, which was confusing because people were always looking for two works of art. Then, we merged them into single records with two components. However, that was also confusing and unsatisfying as a solution. I finally went through all of our records of this type and made them single objects with a consistent title format of "Title (recto); Title (verso)" all as one title. When we show the objects in a gallery, we enter a note of which side was shown so that we can have a record of light exposure.  When we photograph them, we attach recto and verso images to the record, and the recto image is normally the default primary image.

Curators, prep, and registrars are all happy with this solution.

Suzanne Stephens
Database Administrator
Birmingham Museum of Art