From:
"Smutko, Polina, DCA" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2018 22:48:47 +0000
Hi Jeremy,
Thank you and my apologies.  I am aware that I can sometimes come across as scolding.  I am sorry if that happened here.
 When I saw the posting, I had just finished a very frustrating, surreal, and Kafkaesque conversation with the insurance company that refused to cover one my medications. This is a company that prides itself on a policy of non-discrimination based on gender identity, yet my claim was denied based on a narrow, binary definition of gender.
Check a box ,either box, for there are only two. Too bad, so sad, this does not include you.
I was frustrated by the unfairness, then I saw your post and its coincidental nature forced a hasty reply.
So many times in museum discussion groups, when the subject of gender does come up, it is usually limited to a cisnormative and binary point of view.
Thank you, Jeremy, for bringing a wider spectrum of possibilities into to the conversation.  I was so busy trying to explain my position that I forgot you and, and that was wrong.

Polina

Polina Smutko, Director of Collections

Museum of International Folk Art

706 Camino Lejo | Santa Fe, NM  87505