From:
Brian Kraft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 09:14:21 -0600
At The Minneapolis Institute of Arts we have viewed our collections
management system as the primary source for collection information for
the past year and a half.  From our collections database we provide
source information to two websites; MIA's home page and ArtsConnectEd.
We also generate the MIA's submissions  to AMICO and produce our gallery
labels.   As well, we are beginning to use the media module to house our
primary digital images for use by our interactive media and
communications departments, and future publication submissions.  (At
present approximately 10% of the collection has digital images.)

Currently, the Registration department and curatorial staff are the
only ones to have access to the collections management system.  Each
curatorial department is responsible for the accuracy of object
information for their collection.  For the past year I have been
overseeing two data entry work stations to enter collections
information; mainly our print catalogue and accessions records.  Our
collection's card catalogue has become an historical document and is no
longer maintained.  Our print catalogue will become the same, as well as
a Photography catalogue once the information has been transferred to
TMS.  Other projects include inputting historical museum publications,
MIA Bulletin (1914 to present) and several collection catalogues.  Once
the entire collection has been entered and current information has been
cleaned up more, additional departments will be allowed to access TMS
for reference use.

Hopefully this gives you a general understanding of what the MIA is up
to, by no means is it all inclusive.  I would love to share more about
our projects and how we do it.  Hope to hear what others are doing as
well.

All my best,

Brian
TMS System Administrator